Besides Okra Stew, I also took on the challenge to make homemade bread in the dutch oven on the campfire. I have seen some really great looking recipes online like this one from Mother Earth News. I was anxious to try it. We were camping, of course and I realized, while making my no-knead dough, I did not have all the right ingredients. Luckily, the most useful advice I have gotten from Chef Kevin is to just wing it. I had my doubts during the process, but at the end of the day, this hearty dense loaf of wonderfulness was the pleasantly surprising result.
White Whole Wheat Camping Bread
3 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
3 packets of active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups of luke warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. In the morning, combine yeast and salt in the look warm water mix until dissolved.
2. Add flour, this will be a sticky wet dough.
3. Cover and put in your tent to keep safe from natures creatures. Go enjoy your day!
4. Before dinner, oil your dutch oven.
5. Shape dough as much as possible and place in the dutch oven. Let rise another 45 mins. (you can add seeds to the top at this point if you would like, we had pumpkin seeds available) and prepare coals.
6. Once coals are gray, place them in a circle on the ground. Set the dutch oven on top.
7. Cover and load the top with coals.
8. Let cook approx. 30 mins or until it starts to brown.
9. Take out of the dutch oven and let stand for 10 mins. before cutting.