16 Aug 2012
A friend I had almost 15 years ago gave me this recipe. She prepared it for me one night, in the kitchen of her brand new house built for her by her husband. It was a girls night, just the two of us. I remember what a good time it was. It’s been years since we’ve been in touch. We grew apart by geography and life circumstances, just like a lot of friendships. Life has a way of changing friendships, but it also has a way of helping us remember the good times we share. This recipe is in her hand writing on a recipe card in my recipe box. It always makes me smile when I shuffle through the old school box and pull it out. I think of the two of us at very different points in our lives, sipping down a bottle of wine, laughing and enjoying. I hope by sharing it, you will enjoy it too. Maybe it’s the perfect dinner to make for a long needed girls night with your friends?
1/2 lb mushrooms
1/4 cup onions (chopped)
1/4 cup dry marsala wine
8 Tbs olive oil (divided)
3 chicken breasts (boneless)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1. Squeeze the lemon over chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Coat with flour.
2. In a skillet heat 3 Tbs of oil and saute mushroom and onions. Cook until tender. Remove from skillet.
3. Add oil to skillet and cook chicken over moderate heat, browning lightly on both sides, about 10-15 mins.
4. Return mushrooms and onions to skillet, cover and simmer until chicken is tender.
5. Add the marsala wine and heat for 8-10 mins.
(great on top of garlic mashed potatoes, or garlic mashed cauliflower!)