Going into my second spring of eating clean, I am much more confident in my cooking. I have learned a lot of basic cooking techniques, you know, cooking the way you should! I did shy away from some of my favorite comfort foods. I was intimidated by making them clean. Boy, am I silly. Creamy Chicken and Dumplings is just one of those recipes I cannot live without. So, here’s how I broke it down…
Creamy Chicken and Dumplings
1 lb organic chicken breast (cubed)
2 Tbs butter
1 ¾ cup chicken broth (fresh is the best)
1 cup whole milk
2 tsp fresh marjoram leaves (3/4 tsp dried)
½ tsp sea salt
1 bag mixed veggies (I prefer Cascadian Farms, but fresh would be even better! Approx. 18 oz or to taste)
Yogurt Drop Dumplings
2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more if needed)
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
5 Tbs butter
7/8 cup plain whole fat yogurt (I use homemade)
1. In Dutch oven (4 quart+) melt 2 Tbs butter, add chicken, and sauté over medium heat until chicken is golden brown.
2. Add broth and deglaze bottom of the pot.
3. Once broth is warm, add milk, marjoram, salt and frozen veggies.
4. Heat mixture until just boiling, and then reduce to bubble gently. (*If mixture is not as thick as you would like, pinch 1 Tbs of butter with 2 Tbs of flour, slowly whisk mixture into the broth and mix well)
5. Prepare dumplings. In a mixer add dry ingredients, cut in butter. Add yogurt and mix until it forms a ball.
6. Be sure bubbles are just breaking the surface of the chicken mixture, drop dumpling mix by spoon into 12 biscuits on top.
7. Cook uncovered for 10 mins, then covered for 10 mins.
8. Scoop out and enjoy!